Friday, February 11, 2011
Some facts about the Pregnancy Support Center:
1. They are a Christianity-based organization that helps soon-to-be single moms (and also sometimes the fathers of the children) with their upcoming pregnancies and childcare. They counsel the parents about alternatives to abortion, and inform them of the sanctity of life. Their long-term goal is to see babies get born, and lead these families to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
2. The Center services a huge area, that includes Prince Edward, Richmond, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and even goes as far south as North Carolina!
3. The Center has a very small budget, and only 1-2 paid positions. They rely heavily on fund-raising, church involvement, and volunteers.
Some ways that we can help:
1. The Walk For Life and the Heart of Virginia festival: These are two large opportunities for fund-raising for the center.
2. Flower bed maintenance at the Center.
3. Helping at the Center's yard sale.
4. Helping to teach the Abstinence Program in area schools.
5. Baby Showers: churches "adopt" a soon-to-be single mother in their area and throw them a baby shower. It helps the mother to get much needed supplies, and also introduces them to a Christian community.
If anyone is interested in any of the above, we will be talking about them soon. If anyone has any alternative ideas/visions for 2011, please bring information to the meeting four weeks from now.
As for the next meeting, we will be meeting at New Covenant Fellowship for our dinner with the Silver Threads. Hope to see everyone there!
Friday, January 28, 2011
Amanda is going to bring you weekly Bible verses. Stay tuned for that.
At tonight's meeting, we discussed the possibility of having a mission/goal for 2011. One mission that we discussed is the issue of abortion. We could specifically partner with the Pregnancy Support Center, pray at the abortion clinic, and possibly talk about abstinence at local schools.
If anyone has any alternative ideas for a mission for 2011, please bring them to the next meeting. We are open to other ideas. If you're on board with making abortion the mission for 2011, please bring ideas of how we can serve our community in this, or please bring any kind of research/statistics you may know about the issue. We want to be well prepared for whatever God wants us to do in this.
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next meeting!
Saturday, September 11, 2010
Here are the notes from last night I took. Pray through the ideas and look at your calendar and see what ideas you are most drawn to and how available you are. Feel free to hash out ideas or comments on here. I'm excited at what God's getting ready to do!
"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing."